Christian-Forum.net: The Tree Of Knowledge The Tree Of Life - Christian-Forum.net

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Tree Of Knowledge The Tree Of Life

#1 User is offline   meli 

• Advanced Member 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:04 AM

The trees in the garden of Eden have been on my mind for sometime. Last night I was thinking about them again and I had a thought.

Genesis 2:16And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

and later

Genesis 3:17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

21Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Adam and Eve were free to eat from the tree of life to begin with. What prevented them from doing so? Lack of knowledge? What would have happened if Adam and Eve had first eaten of the Tree of Life and then eaten of the Tree of Knowledge?

Not sure exactly what my questions are, maybe they are observations still.

#2 User is offline   whirlwind 

• Advanced Member 6
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

View PostMelangel, on Jul 15 2008, 04:04 AM, said:

The trees in the garden of Eden have been on my mind for sometime. Last night I was thinking about them again and I had a thought.

Genesis 2:16And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:

17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Adam and Eve were free to eat from the tree of life to begin with. What prevented them from doing so? Lack of knowledge? What would have happened if Adam and Eve had first eaten of the Tree of Life and then eaten of the Tree of Knowledge?

The Tree of Life is Christ. His fruit (truth) produces eternal life. The fruit (sin)of Satan ...the tree of knowledge of good and evil, will cause spiritual death. To answer your question, perhaps they did eat of the Tree of Life but....they fell away and listened to Satan. They "ate" his food as humanity does today.

I believe what is meant by verse 22 (above) is that God didn't want anyone to have eternal life when they had a sinful nature. That nature has to be dispelled before eternal life is ours. They made it very evident that they could not, or would not, live on earth without sinning and Christ had not yet died for our sins.
You don't have a soul...You are a soul...You have a body ~ C.S. Lewis

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me ~ John 15:6

There shall no evil befall thee, Neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, To keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, Lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. ~ Psalms 91:10-12

#3 User is offline   meli 

• Advanced Member 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

Thanks whirlwind

I just noticed the other thread on this same subject :blush:

#4 User is offline   BFSmith 

• Advanced Member 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:11 AM

View PostMelangel, on Jul 15 2008, 05:04 AM, said:

and later

Genesis 3:17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

21Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Satan got to them first; he didn't give them a chance to eat of that tree. Had Adam and Eve ate of the tree of life they would have received eternal life, and they would have no desire to eat of the other tree.
Disagreement we will have, but remember what Jesus said

Mark 9:50 (ASV)
50 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost its saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace one with another.

It is good for God's people to be together in unity

Psalm 133:1-3 (ASV)
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity!
2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, That ran down upon the beard, Even Aaron's beard; That came down upon the skirt of his garments;
3 Like the dew of Hermon, That cometh down upon the mountains of Zion: For there Jehovah commanded the blessing, Even life for evermore.

#5 User is offline   BFSmith 

• Advanced Member 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

View Postwhirlwind, on Jul 15 2008, 07:21 AM, said:

The Tree of Life is Christ. His fruit (truth) produces eternal life. The fruit (sin)of Satan ...the tree of knowledge of good and evil, will cause spiritual death. To answer your question, perhaps they did eat of the Tree of Life but....they fell away and listened to Satan. They "ate" his food as humanity does today.

I believe what is meant by verse 22 (above) is that God didn't want anyone to have eternal life when they had a sinful nature. That nature has to be dispelled before eternal life is ours. They made it very evident that they could not, or would not, live on earth without sinning and Christ had not yet died for our sins.

No they never did ate of the tree of life before or after they sinned because God prevented them from going there and eating of that tree after they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil by putting an angel to guard the tree and a sword which every which way.

Genesis 3:22-24 (ESV)
22 Then the Lord God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live foreveró"
23 therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden to work the ground from which he was taken.
24 He drove out the man, and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim and a flaming sword that turned every way to guard the way to the tree of life.

Had they been aloud to eat of the tree of life after they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil they would have received eternal life but still have corrupt nature as well. If this was aloud to happen the consequences of that would be unimaginable. They would have two natures dwelling with in them, forever warring with each other, causing endless mental pain and suffering and confusing.

This post has been edited by BFSmith: 01 September 2008 - 01:30 PM

Disagreement we will have, but remember what Jesus said

Mark 9:50 (ASV)
50 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost its saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace one with another.

It is good for God's people to be together in unity

Psalm 133:1-3 (ASV)
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity!
2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, That ran down upon the beard, Even Aaron's beard; That came down upon the skirt of his garments;
3 Like the dew of Hermon, That cometh down upon the mountains of Zion: For there Jehovah commanded the blessing, Even life for evermore.

#6 User is offline   Gnosis 

• PipPip

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:52 PM

If you want to understand Eden, understand Jesus statement:

Luke 17:21 "...the kingdom of God is within you."

The garden of Eden is allegorical. Notice that the Tree of Life has always existed with the first man (Adam) even before Jesus and it is still there.

What Jesus did was give us the knowledge, the truth, to know that we always had the power to save ourselves. ^_^ See:

Genesis 2:15 Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to farm the land and to take care of it. (control it)
Genesis 2:16 The LORD God commanded the man. He said, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden.

Nothing has changed we are free to eat of the fruit and have total control over Eden.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users