• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Rebellion! Guard Against These Things! Rate Topic: *---- 1 Votes

#7 User is offline   Word of God 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

God loves His chosen people, the true Israel.

Romans 11:25-32

We owe a lot to those who went before us. We owe a lot to the generations who passed on their faith to us. We owe our parents for telling us about the Lord, teaching us about Jesus, dying on the cross, teaching us to pray, teaching us to trust. And our parents owe a lot to their parents, who learned it from their parents, and so it goes. We in this church have a good, healthy sense of history. We have a good sense of gratitude to our ancestors. We know where weíve come from, and we know that steers us in where weíre going. We owe a lot.

But what ancestors are we talking about? How far back are we thinking? Those who came across the ocean to create a new life? How far back was that? Was it our generation? Our parents? Our grandparents? Further back? Do we think of our ancestors on other continents, 100, 200 years ago? All of them deserve our gratitude. If not for them, we wouldnít be there. And if not for them, we would know very little about our Lord and Savior, Jesus.

But go further back. Not just to the Netherlands or England or Norway or wherever. Go way, way back. Look at our ancestors. See them dating back 2000 years ago. And now, Iím not just talking about biological ancestors, weíre seeing our spiritual ancestors, those who have held the faith and passed it on so that it could come down through the years to us here and now.

Paul would like us to remember our ancestors, here in Romans 11, and his reminder comes at a good time. We have lots of different opinions about the nation of Israel, and those opinions affect politics. They affect budgets. They affect our sons and daughters who serve in our forces. Some see Israel as Godís people, a nation to be defended at all costs because to defend them is to honor God. Others arenít so sure. To them, Israel doesnít always act like Godís people, so why should we defend them. Itís a little confusing, how we see these spiritual ancestors.

But letís face it. If it wasnít for them, we wouldnít know about the Lord. God chose to reveal Himself to the people of Israel. Not the people of Egypt, not the people of Babylon, not the people of China. The people of Israel. It was Abraham that received the first promise of God, to be his God and for his descendents to be Godís people. It was Isaac who continued in that promise. It was Jacob and all of Jacobís descendents who lived all of these stories, like David and Goliath, Daniel and the lionís den, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.

It was Jesus Himself who was a Jew. He wasnít European, even though most of our pictures show Him that way. He was an Israelite. He was a Jew. Paul remembers us of this, in verse 25:

I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited:

Itís too easy to think of Christianity without thinking of the Jews. Itís too easy to forget our debt to the Israelites and to think that we own this. Itís too easy to see Christianity as an American religion. Itís too easy to become conceited.

And Paul tells us, "Donít forget where this all came from. Donít forget that out of all the nations in the world, God chose a little speck of a nation, a group of people that didnít even have a plot of land they could call their ownÖ God chose a nation that could only survive by grace, a nation that would be humble before God, knowing they didnít deserve it.

So Paul doesnít want us getting full of ourselves and losing that humility. He brings us back to the beginning, that Godís plan of redemption starts with grace and ends with grace, and donít try anything other than Godís grace.

In fact, itís only by Godís grace that anyone not a Jew has come to Jesus. In fact, itís because Israel had rejected Jesus that Italians and English and Dutch and Norwegian even hear about Jesus. Verse 25:

Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in.

When the apostles went out into the world, the first place they went to were the synagogues in the various cities, to tell Godís people, the Jews, about Godís plan of salvation. But they didnít want to hear it. So the apostles came to us, the Gentiles. We heard the good news because Israel rejected the good news.

And so, verse 26:

And so all Israel will be saved,

Thatís a huge jump, isnít it? God came to Israel, Israel rejected God. God came to Gentiles. All Israel is saved. How did that happen? Where did that come from? This is the source of our confusion. All Israel is going to be saved? Every single Jew? This doesnít seem to fit.

Well, it does if weíre understanding "all Israel" right. If we understand that all Israel is every single Israelite, every single Jew that God has chosen to be His. All of they elect. Verse 28:

As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs

God has chosen Israelites to be His. God has chosen Gentiles to be His. God isnít going to lose any of those He has chosen.

We know this about ourselves. We know this doctrine of irresistible grace, that when God has His eyes set on us, He will save us. Nothing is going to stop Him. We find comfort in this, comfort for ourselves, comfort for our sons, our daughters, our loved ones who have walked away from the church for a while.

But Paul wants us to know this about the people of Israel, too. After all, it was the people of Israel who introduced us to our Lord and Savior, Jesus. Each of the disciples who went out into all the world, making disciples, who made disciples, who made disciples, who taught usÖ each of those first disciples were Jews, Israelites.

The first ones to hear that someone would come to crush the head of the serpent, were Jews. The first ones to hear those words in Isaiah 7:14:

The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel

It was an Israelite, probably David, who first wrote those words, in Psalm 22:1

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

And it was an Israelite, it was a Jew who quoted those words while He hung there on that cross, His blood pouring our for Gentiles and for Jews. That blood was given for each person, Gentile and Jew, that God has predestined, chosen, elected to be saved. And that blood WILL save them, you can bank on it. It will happen. Verse 29:

for Godís gifts and his call are irrevocable.

This is Paulís reminder for us, to remember our Israelite, our Jewish roots, and to see the Israelites, the Jews of today in this way. We want them to be saved. We want them to know Jesus. We want Prime Minister Olmert, of Israel, to give his life to Jesus, to lead his country to bow their knee to the King of kings and to recognize that Jesus died to save them. We better want this, because the grace that God shows to the people of Israel is the same grace God shows to us. Verse 31:

they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of Godís mercy to you.

If Gentiles became Christians because Jews rejected Jesus, then Jews will become Christians when they see Godís mercy shown to Gentiles. Theyíll be envious. They will see Gentiles, theyíll see us receiving what had been promised to them so long ago. Theyíll see us knowing the Messiah, the One theyíve waited so long for. Theyíll see Jesus through us, and theyíll know Jesus. This is what we want.

All this then teaches us that the nation of Israel is no more special to God than any other nation. Treating the nation of Israel likeís Godís nation is not based on fact. In fact, when the nation of Israel went looking for protection from another nation, they ended up in big trouble. Back around 500 B.C., the nation of Babylon was breathing down the neck of the Israelites, and they were scared. Now, God told them, "Trust Me. I will take care of you." But instead of trusting in God, they turned to Egypt, making a treaty with them for Egypt to save them. Because of that, the Israelites were exiled for 70 years. Now, Israel looks to the United States for protection, instead of the one true God, who appeared to us in Jesus Christ. We need to be careful we donít mix bad theology with politics and defy the will of God in the process.

And yet, though the nation of Israel does not have a special standing with God, apart from Jesus, we still have a sense of gratitude. These are our ancestors. This is the nation that gave us the Messiah. And, because of Jesus, we are now the people of Israel, spiritual Israelites. We are family. We are Godís chosen people, those of us who know Jesus and belong to Him. Galatians 3:29 says:

If you belong to Christ, then you are Abrahamís seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Jesus Christ creates this family. This is the family that Nicholas joins today, through baptism. This is the family that we belong to when we believe in Jesus as Savior. We carry the mark, the mark of our own baptisms, the mark that shows that we belong to this family that stretches all the way back to Abraham, and even further back.

And being part of this family sends us back to the whole story. The story of redemption doesnít begin with Jesus. It begins in the Hebrew Bible, the history of the Israelites. Weíre not just New Testament Christians. Our heritage, our family goes all the way back. The rules of Leviticus are in our family tree. The poetry of the Psalms, thatís part of our tradition. The Hebrew culture is woven into our culture. It helps define us as Christians.

So when we think about our Israelite brothers, we need to see them clearly. We are related. We are family. But only through Jesus. We donít think more of them than we should, but we donít think less of them than we should, either.

We pray for them. Weíre grateful to them. We hope that, more and more, we can be connected to them, through Jesus. The nation of Israel with the spiritual Israel.

http://www.hollandal...%2011v25-32.htm

#8 User is offline   tsth 

• Advanced Member 5
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

Dear voice,

I don't think anyone was trying to demean the Israelites. The fact of the matter is that the "warning" is still issued to us lest we do the same as they did.

1 Cor. 10:1 For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. 2 They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3 They all ate the same spiritual food 4 and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered over the desert.

6 Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did. 7 Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry." 8 We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did--and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died. 9 We should not test the Lord, as some of them did--and were killed by snakes. 10 And do not grumble, as some of them did--and were killed by the destroying angel. 11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. 12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! 13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 14 Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry.

I did not want my intentions misconstrued.

In His Love,
Suzanne

This post has been edited by tsth: 10 May 2009 - 05:36 AM

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   tsth 

• Advanced Member 5
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

View PostGodspromisesRyes, on May 8 2009, 08:41 AM, said:

Amen suzanne!

When thinking on this, we are reminded of what alot of the rebellion was in the individuals int he wilderness- complaining! We can be such complainers when our comforts are touched. (of course we know there were larger rebellions in the wilderness)but it seems the most common and easy to fall into in the wilderness is complaining which of course comes from disbelief in the work of God and His control over all things for our good. i am guilty of this as well and i do pray that the Lord purify me from all complaining before that time which is fast approaching us.

Truly when we walk in faith and know He is in control we can have peace and quiet the complaining flesh so that it must die.

Dear GodspromisesRyes,

You are correct and I also hope that we will look at the passages that give the specifics. They are in my above post in 1 Cor. 10.

God bless you.

In His Love,
Suzanne
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   tsth 

• Advanced Member 5
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

We are in the days that Jude spoke of, so it is extremely important that we not fall into the rebellion...we must be discerning about these types of pastors:

Jude

1 Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ: 2 Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. 3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ. 5 But I want to remind you, though you once knew this, that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. 6 And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day; 7 as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. 8 Likewise also these dreamers defile the flesh, reject authority, and speak evil of dignitaries. 9 Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" 10 But these speak evil of whatever they do not know; and whatever they know naturally, like brute beasts, in these things they corrupt themselves. 11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, have run greedily in the error of Balaam for profit, and perished in the rebellion of Korah. 12 These are spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving only themselves. They are clouds without water, carried about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots; 13 raging waves of the sea, foaming up their own shame; wandering stars for whom is reserved the blackness of darkness forever. 14 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." 16 These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage. 17 But you, beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ: 18 how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts. 19 These are sensual persons, who cause divisions, not having the Spirit. 20 But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22 And on some have compassion, making a distinction; 23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh. 24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, 25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.

In His Love,
Suzanne
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   TurnFromEvilAndLive 

• listening post...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!!

I'm glad this topic was brought forward again because I missed it the last time.

Think about it... where the rebellion started and where it is today! Whew!

...formerly, IAMlives
Revelation 12:11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.........

*MY TESTIMONY; post #179; post #201; post #209*
----------------------------------
GOSPEL TRUTH:

*The Unleavened Truth of the Gospel contains Repentance; Repentance and obeying God's commandments (post #104); The atonement (blood sacrifice for sins), feast of unleavened bread and passover are one, post #91 (my responses are in purple)*
-----------------------------------
He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands...He who has the sharp two-edged sword...the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass...He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars...He who is holy, He who is true, He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens...the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God...Jesus Christ, Lord of Lords and King of Kings is His name...the ALPHA AND THE OMEGA, THE BEGINNING AND THE END, first and last is HE!

hallelujah! Come Lord Jesus!

Posted Image
"I AM the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star...who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens"...Jesus Christ

#12 User is offline   tsth 

• Advanced Member 5
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thank you for your post, Kim. I'm glad you caught it this time around!

:wub:

I would also add that if we begin to examine closer the beginnings of the rebellion in the wilderness...it starts with "festivities and fun"!
When God is not moving BIG enough or FAST enough for them, they begin to make their own worship and FUN/FUN/FUN.

Exodus 32

1 Now when the people saw that Moses delayed coming down from the mountain, the people gathered together to Aaron, and said to him, "Come, make us gods that shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him." 2 And Aaron said to them, "Break off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me." 3 So all the people broke off the golden earrings which were in their ears, and brought them to Aaron. 4 And he received the gold from their hand, and he fashioned it with an engraving tool, and made a molded calf. Then they said, "This is your god, O Israel, that brought you out of the land of Egypt!" 5 So when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it. And Aaron made a proclamation and said, "Tomorrow is a feast to the Lord." 6 Then they rose early on the next day, offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.

The word for the above activities is translated as "revelries".

Romans 13:13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy.

Galatians 5:21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Peter 4:3 NKJ
For we have spent enough of our past lifetime in doing the will of the Gentiles--when we walked in lewdness, lusts, drunkenness, revelries, drinking parties, and abominable idolatries.

These are also what is occuring in the Book of Jude and

The progression then moves to things of the flesh and fun...not to mention the sexual immoralities that come in next.

In His Love,
Suzanne
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users